Thursday 22 November 2007

final idea?

For my final outcome, I wanted to focus on the playfullness in Perec's work. From reading the start of Life: A User's Manual, its easy to see his absolute love of puzzles, games and, in a number of the 'tales' in the book; craftmanship. He really values the art of creating puzzles - a side of which I'd never really thought about, particulary regarding jigsaw puzzles.

"It's not the subject of the picture, or the painter's technique, which makes a puzzle more or less difficult, but the greater or lesser subtlety of the way it has been cut."

For my final peice, I decided to make a jigsaw puzzle of my own. I've thought about lots of different things I could use as an image, but I've settled on using text. This is becuase the way Perec explains; just one puzzle peice on its own means nothing, can relate to sentences. As a novelist and writer, Perec's main tool is language. Just one word on its own can only hold so much meaning. If the sentences are broken up into to puzzle peices, the words will be as muc part of the puzzle as the peices are. I hope that explains it ok?

I decided to make my own, rather than sending it away to one of those companies that print and cut it for you, becuase of the view of Perec's that machine cut jigsaw puzzles "destroys the specific nature of jigsaw puzzles" and I wouldn't want to go against Georges' beleifes would I? "-an arbitrary cutting pattern will necessarily produce an arbitrary degree of difficulty-". I intend to make my puzzle impossible (or really really hard). This will mean that i'll have to take a photo of it when i have finished cutting it before it is destroyed forever, never to be seen as a whole again.

I doubt I will be able to make a puzzle out of wood, as I am not carpentryly gifted, so I'm thinking thick cardboard at the moment or a bit thinner than that cardboard. I'm still thinking about how I'm going to put the words on. I'm NOT going to stencil it (my first idea) becuase that will actually damage me (see picture below), so I've been thinking about using asatone but I need to learn how to do that. Below is the 'image' I will put on the puzzle. Not sure if you can see well enough here but its the preamle from the book Life: A User's Manual.

No comments: